Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Top 10 Books on Missions

Source: Eddie Arthur, Kouya Chronicle, February 6, 2009

"I thought that I would draw together a list of what I consider to be the top ten books on overseas mission. No doubt others will disagree with the books I've listed (I may well do so myself next week). 

"I've tried to avoid books that are too academic. I've also aimed for books which deal with the contemporary realities of the world church and mission in a multicultural world. Many of the missionary biographies that I grew up reading are excellent guides to Christian discipleship, but very poor introductions to mission in a world which has changed massively over the last 50 years." 

Here's Eddie's list. Links are to Amazon.uk, but you can find these elsewhere too.

Mission After Christendom, by David Smith 
The Mission of God: Unlocking the Bible's Grand Narrative, by Christopher J.H. White
Christianity Rediscovered, by Vincent J. Donovan 

Changing the Mind of Missions: Where Have We Gone Wrong? by James F. Engel and William A. Dyrness
Walking with the Poor: Principles and Practices of Transformational Development Theology, by Bryant Myers 
The Shaping of Things to Come: Innovation and Mission for the 21st Century Church, by Michael Frost
The Message of Mission, by Howard Peskett 
The Next Christendom: The Coming of Global Christianity, by Philip Jenkins 
Whose Religion is Christianity?: The Gospel Beyond the West, by Sanneh Lamin
A Time for Mission: The Challenge for Global Christianity, by Samuel Escobar

Read Eddie's comments on each - and his readers' responses - here

Editor's note: Eddie Arthur currently serves as Executive Director of Wycliffe UK. I also found much food for thought in his essay, 
Is the Age of the Great Commission Over? 

Readers might also be interested in the recent discussion of books (not necessarily "missions" books) that mission-types are recommending at
 Brigada Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment