Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Functional Savior II




When I listen to popular music I love to listen to see who or what is the functional savior or to listen to the singer sing about searching for the functional savior.

For example, the song Piano Man by Billy Joel is an excellent example. See if you can find the functional savior of each person listed. Don't forget to see if you can see who is the functional savior of Billy Joel.
After you have read the lyrics to this song, read Acts 17. As you read, contemplate the lives of those who have gathered at the bar.
How do you think they are?
How do you feel to see such a gathering of people like this?
How can we be the church to people like this?
How can we best speak Truth to them?

PIANO MAN
It's nine o'clock on a Saturday
The Regular crowd shuffles in
There's an old man sitting next
to me Makin' love to his tonic
and gin He says, "Son, can you
play me a memory I'm not
really sure how it goes But it's
sad and it's sweet and I knew it
complete When I wore
younger man's clothes."
La la la, di da da La la, di da da da dum
Chorus: Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright
Now John at the bar is a friend of mine
He gets me my drinks for free
And he's quick with a joke or to light up your smoke
But there's someplace that he'd rather be
He says, "Bill, I believe this is killing me."
As the smile ran away from his face
"Well I'm sure that I could be a movie star
If I could get out of this place"
Oh, la la la, di da da La la, di da da da dum
Now Paul is a real estate
novelist
Who never had time for a wife
And he's talkin' with Davy,
who's still in the Navy
And probably will be for life
And the waitress is practicing politics
As the businessmen slowly get stoned
Yes, they're sharing a drink they call loneliness
But it's better than drinkin' alone
Chorus: Sing us a song you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well we're all in the mood for a melody
And you got us feeling alright
It's a pretty good crowd for a Saturday
And the manager gives me a smile
'Cause he knows that it's me
they've been comin' to see
To forget about life for a while
And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
And the microphone smells like a beer
And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
And say, "Man, what are you doin' here?"
Oh, la la la, di da da La la, di da da da dum
Chorus: Sing us a song you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well we're all in the mood for a melody
And you got us feeling alright
______________________________________________
Now then, reread Acts 17.
How did Paul effectively communicate the Gospel of Jesus Christ to those at Mars Hill?
How did he build bridges to communicate Jesus?
How could you communicate Jesus if you were at this bar that Billy is singing about?

No comments:

Post a Comment